Make a Course Available/Unavailable to Students
Please note that the instructions for instructors and teaching assistants are different.
Instructions for USC Instructors
- Locate the course you want to make available/unavailable on your My Courses list and click the link of the course ID.
- After entering the course, scroll down and click “Customization -> Properties”.
- Scroll down to the SET AVAILABILITY area of the page and change the “Make Course Available” to “Yes”
- Then click Submit to save the change.
Instructions for USC Teaching Assistants
- Under My Courses on the Home tab, click the name of the “NOT AVAILABLE” course that you want your students to be able to access.
- Under Course Management, click Customization.
- Click Properties.
- Click Yes next to Make Course Available.
- Click Submit.
About Course Availability
ITS automatically creates a Blackboard course for every course that is listed in the Schedule of Classes. All Blackboard courses are automatically hidden from students.
If the name of your course is followed by the words “NOT AVAILABLE”, that course exists on Blackboard but is currently hidden from the students. To access a “NOT AVAILABLE” Blackboard course without making it available to the students, ignore the words “NOT AVAILABLE” and click the course’s course ID.
ITS also disables student access to completed Blackboard courses approximately eight weeks after the last day of classes, as listed on USC’s academic calendar .
- Student access to summer semester courses ends on October 1.
- Student access to fall semester courses ends on February 1.
- Student access to spring semester courses ends on July 1.