How to Grade With Rubrics
Before grading with a rubric, you need to associate it with one of the following gradable items
- Essay, Short Answer, and File Response test questions
- Blogs and journals
- Discussion board forums and threads
Watch a Tutorial: http://youtu.be/fvN0Q4jPd-c
Use the following steps to grade using rubrics.
The Raw Total displays the score rounded to two decimal places.
- Access the gradable item in the Grade Center, on the Needs Grading page, or from the tool.
- Click View Rubric to review or begin grading with the associated rubric.
- In Grid View, click a cell to apply that point value to the grade. If a rubric with point ranges is used, select the appropriate value from the drop-down list. To change the selection, click another cell in the same row. Optionally, type Feedback to the student in the text box that appears when a cell is selected.
- Optionally, click List View to switch displays and select an option for each criterion to apply that point value to the grade. Optionally, select the check boxes to Show Descriptions for criteria and to Show Feedback text boxes.
- A running Raw Total score appears as you make point selections. Optionally, type a score in the Change the number of points box to override the selected score, and type overall Feedback to the student using the full features of the content editor.
- When grading is complete, click Exit to leave the rubric without saving your selections, or click Save to save the score and feedback and return to the attempt. Click Save and Next to use another associated rubric for evaluation.
How to Run a Rubric Evaluation Report
A rubric evaluation report provides a comprehensive report of statistics for an item that you graded with a rubric. If you want to evaluate a rubric or its use in your course, you can run the report at any point in the grading process.
- On the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and select Rubrics.
- Access the rubric’s contextual menu and select View Associated Content.
- If you already used an item for grading, a contextual menu is available next to the item’s name on the View All Items page. Point to the item’s contextual menu and select Rubric Evaluation Report.
- On the Run Reports page, select a Format, Start Date, and End Date.
- Click Submit.
- If your institution licenses content management, you may choose to Save to Content Collection. Otherwise, clickDownload Report to view the report or Run a new Report to change format or date criteria. Click OK to return to the main Rubrics page.
Available Rubric Reports
- Rubric Evaluation Report delivers three statistics about the rubric’s use in grading an item.
- Rubric Overall Performance shows the average total score of all attempts scored using the rubric.
- Rubric Analysis shows average scores, compared against the possible points, for each criterion.
- Frequency Distribution shows the distribution of scores across each level of achievement.
- Call our Blackboard Help line 24 hours a day, every day at (213) 740-5555 and choose option 2.
- Faculty can request help and training from USC’s Enterprise Learning Technologies group by submitting a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.