Enrolling a Student
You do not need to manually enroll students in your Blackboard courses.
Blackboard’s student enrollment data comes directly from the University’s Student Information System and is updated several times each day. When a student officially enrolls in your course, that student is automatically added to your Blackboard course roster. When a student officially drops your course, that student is automatically removed from your Blackboard course roster.
Manually added students will not receive an end-of-semester evaluation for the course section into which they were added.
Please note that Blackboard automatically prevents you from accidentally enrolling a student into the same course twice. To see a list of students already enrolled in your course,
- On your course’s Control Panel, under Users and Groups, click Users.
- Choose “Not Blank”. [This tells Blackboard to display all users.]
- Click Go.
To add additional students to your Blackboard course roster,
- Click Users & Groups in the lower left corner of the course’s Course Management area.
- Click Users.
- Go to Find Users to Enroll (Note: This step confuses some. Do NOT click or use the search box. Instead, click the Find Users to Enroll button in the upper left corner of the page.)
- Choose the student you wish you manually enroll.
- If you know the student’s Blackboard username, manually type it into the Username box. Do NOT click the browse button. Instead, once you have keyed in the student’s username, proceed directly to step 5.
- If you do not know the student’s Blackboard username, leave the Username box empty and click the Browse button and then search for the student.
Tip: If the student has a common last name, search for the student’s official email address instead (you can find most student email addresses in USC’s online student directory at https://my.usc.edu/wp/student/SearchForm.do).Once you have located the student in Blackboard, select the student and then in the bottom right corner of the pop-up window, click Submit.
- Leave the Role pull-down list set to Student.
- Leave Enrollment Availability set to Yes.
- Click Submit.
Repeat steps 3 through 7 for each additional student you wish to add. Please note that adding a student to your Blackboard course roster does not actually enroll that student in your course. You will not be able to assign that student a final, end-of-semester transcript letter grade until that student officially enrolls in your course and pays his or her tuition and fees.
In addition, once a student drops your course, the University automatically blocks that student from being able to access your course’s Blackboard site as a student, guest, auditor, observer, teaching assistant, grader, or course builder.
This block is made not not by Blackboard but rather by the University. This block cannot be removed or changed by the course’s instructor or teaching assistant or by the University’s Blackboard administrator. The only way to remove this block is to request that the student who dropped your course re-enroll in your course as a student through USC’s web registration system. If you have any questions about this policy, please contact USC’s Academic Records and Registrar’s office at (213) 740-8500.
- Call our Blackboard Help line 24 hours a day, every day at (213) 740-5555 and choose option 2.
- Faculty can request help and training from USC’s Enterprise Learning Technologies group by submitting a request to email@example.com.