Access Another Instructor’s Course Contents
To access another instructor’s Blackboard course contents, please contact that course’s instructor and request that he or she you manually enroll you as an instructor in that Blackboard course. To enroll you as an instructor, the other instructor will need to
- Click Users & Groups in the lower left corner of their Blackboard course’s Course Management area.
- Click Users.
- Click Find Users to Enroll
- Enter your username in the Username box. The username is what appears before the @ sign in your USC email address [e.g., the username of email@example.com is ttrojan].
- Click the Role pull-down list and choose Instructor
- Click Submit.
If you are unable to reach the original course’s instructor, another way to gain access is to request that that instructor’s department course scheduling coordinator officially enroll you as an instructor, assistant lecturer, or teaching assistant for the course in USC’s Student Information Systems (SIS). The department course scheduling coordinator is usually found in the department’s main office. Scheduling coordinators are able to enroll additional instructors, assistant lecturers, or teaching assistants into a Blackboard course for up to four years after the course has concluded.
Finally, if you are unable to reach either the instructor or the department course scheduling coordinator, please ask that that instructor’s department chair send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org giving you permission to access that course’s Blackboard site.
Once you are enrolled as an instructor, you can copy the course’s content into your own course(s):
- On the Home tab, under My Courses, click the old course (the course whose content you would like to copy).
- On the Course Management Area of the course, under Packages and Utilities, click Course Copy.
- Under Select Copy Type, choose Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course.
- To the right of Destination Course ID, click Browse.
- Select the course into which you would like your content copied.
- Click Submit.
- Under Select Course Materials, ONLY click Select All, otherwise the course WILL NOT copy correctly.
- Under Course Files, do NOT make any changes to this section.
- Under Enrollments, do NOT check Include Enrollments in the Copy. [Checking Include Enrollments in the Copy enrolls your prior course’s students in your new course.]
- Click Submit. Blackboard will send you an email message when the course copy is complete.
- Call our Blackboard Help line 24 hours a day, every day at (213) 740-5555 and choose option 2.
- Faculty can request help and training from USC’s Enterprise Learning Technologies group by submitting a request to email@example.com.