Item Analysis (Movie, 5:00)
Item analysis provides statistics on overall test performance and individual test questions. This data helps you recognize questions that might be poor discriminators of student performance. You can use this information to improve questions for future test administrations or to adjust credit on current attempts.
Roles with grading privileges (such as instructors, graders, and teaching assistants) access item analysis in three locations within the assessment workflow. It is available in the contextual menu for a:
- Test deployed in a content area.
- Deployed tests listed on the Tests page.
- Grade Center column.
- Item analysis only works on tests with submitted attempts, not on surveys.
- You can access previously run Item Analyses under the Available Analysis heading.
- New analyses are also available under the Available Analysis heading once they have been run.
How to Run an Item Analysis on a Test:
- Go to one of the previously listed locations to access item analysis (see above).
- Access the test’s contextual menu from the downward facing chevron on its right.
- Select Item Analysis
- In the Select Test drop down list, select a test. Only deployed tests are listed.
- Click Run
- View the item analysis by clicking the new report’s link under the Available Analysis.
Understanding the Results:
For an explanation of the individual items on the Item Analysis page check out these Blackboard Support pages:
- Test Summary on the Item Analysis Page
- Question Statistics Page on the Item Analysis Page
- View Question Details for a Single Question