Creating Tests Using Pools
No purely online assessment system can prevent all forms of cheating. Unless you are giving the test as a proctored computer lab test, you should consider Blackboard assessments tantamount to a take-home exam. If you are not comfortable with take-home exams, you should not be using Blackboard for assessments.
Searching Pools and Tests
There are four overall steps in creating a test by searching pools and assessments:
- Build the test
- Specify the Question Settings
- Search for questions from pools or assessments, or a combination of the two
- Add the questions
Some of these steps are similar to routine test creation; we will focus on the differences.
- On the Test Canvas page, click the Reuse Question drop-down list on the Action Bar.
- Select Find Questions.
- On the Find Question Mode page, select to either Copy selected questions or Link to original questions. That is, do you want a new instance of the question or not.
- Click Continue.
- On the Find Questions page, select the Pools, Tests, Question types, Categories, Topics, Levels of Difficulty, Keywords or combinations to search.
- Use the Browse Criteria column to limit your search:
- Expand the Pools, Tests, or Question types by click the down arrow icon.
- Expand the Categories heading by clicking the down arrow icon.
- Expand the Topics heading by clicking the down arrow icon.
- Expand the Levels of Difficulty heading by clicking the down arrow icon.
- Expand the Keywords heading by clicking the down arrow icon.
- Choose your selection [search] criteria by checking parameters of interest. Those questions that meet the search criteria will appear in the Criteria Summary area of the screen.
- Check each checkbox for a question you want to add to the test. (NOTE: The Mode column will signify how the question is to be added to the test.)
- Click Submit to add the selected questions to the test.
- You are returned to the Test Canvas page and the selected questions are added to the test.
- To Assign, Edit, or Change the points for a question, just enter a new point value into the Points cell.