Sending eMail (Movie, 1:36)
To begin using Blackboard to Communicate with Your Students via Email:
- Access Tools and click Send Email.
- On the Send Email page, click the link for the desired recipient group. A new page appears.
NOTE: From a Blackboard course, you cannot send email to anyone who is not a member of the course. In addition, to cut down on student-to-student email abuse, the Send Email tool allows students to send email messages to all teaching assistant users or all instructor users but not to other students. Instructors can re-enable student-to-student email in their courses through their course’s Control Panel > Customization > Tool Availability > Email – Email Settings [pull-down] link.
- To choose not to email the entire class either “Select Users” or “Select Groups”, click to highlight the recipients in the [Available to Select] box and click the right-pointing arrow to move them into the Selected box.
- Enter the Subject and Message.
- Optionally, Attach a file.
- Click Submit.
To select multiple users in a row, hold down Shift and click. To select users out of sequence, hold down the Control Key and click individual users.
- Blackboard Learn keeps no record of sent emails. You will receive a copy of your email in the Inbox of your external email account. Keep a copy of important messages in case you need them at a later date.
- Blackboard Learn will NOT recognize files or email addresses with spaces or special characters, such as #, &, %, and $. In general, use only alphanumeric file names and addresses in Blackboard Learn.
- Do not send email through Blackboard Learn without content in the subject line. Leaving the subject line blank can prevent the message from being delivered.