Inline Assignment Grading
Instructors can view student-submitted files “inline,” i.e. in the web browser, without leaving the Grade Assignment page. In addition, instructors are able to provide comments directly on the document.
Over 100 different file types supported file types that are compatible with the New Box View.
For annotation purposes ONLY: PDF, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, DOC, and DOCX are supported.
Note: Assignment submissions created with the content editor are not compatible with inline grading. Submissions of this type show in the window, but annotation is not available.
To access the inline grading feature from the Needs Grading page:
- On the Control Panel, expand the Grade Center section and select Needs Grading
- On the Needs Grading page, click on the user attempt you wish to grade.
To grade a single assignment attempt from within the grade center:
- Locate the cell for a student’s assignment containing an exclamation mark and click on the contextual menu
- Select Attempt
To grade all submissions for an assignment:
About the Grade Assignment Page
A. From the inline viewer toolbar you can zoom the contents of the document in or out, open the annotation tools menu to comment in the document, download the document, and print the page.
B. The inline grading sidebar allows you to view the assignment details, the grading rubric, and each attempt. This is also where you enter the overall grade and grades for each attempt as well as provide feedback.
How to Use the Inline Annotation Tools (Movie 1:30)
- Select “Point Annotation” to enter comments on the page. An bubble comment will appear on the paper. The student will need to click the icon to see the comment.
- Drag your cursor to highlight text, then click the “Comment Icon” to enter a text comment.
- You can download the file, without your annotations, by clicking on the download button in the toolbar that looks like a down arrow.
- Use the Feedback to Learner box to provide feedback on the overall quality of the submission.
- Don’t forget to post the grade by clicking “Submit”.
- Call our Blackboard Help line 24 hours a day, every day at (213) 740-5555 and choose option 2.
- Faculty can request help and training from USC’s Enterprise Learning Technologies group by submitting a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.