Tests and Quizzes
No purely online assessment system can prevent all forms of cheating. Unless you are giving the test as a proctored computer lab test, you should consider Blackboard assessments tantamount to a take-home exam. If you are not comfortable with take-home exams, you should not be using Blackboard for assessments.
Creating a Test (Movie, 03:50)
Learn how to create a test that Blackboard will automatically grade.
Tests – Avoiding Issues (Acrobat Acrobat, PDF)
To avoid some of a gotchas that browsers can cause, you may want to review this handout.
Randomizing Test Questions (Handout)
Randomly assign different questions to different users, so that no two students are seeing the same questions in the same order.
Creating Tests: Specifying Test Creation Settings
Learn how to manage a modify a test and choose to whom you wish to distribute the test.
Setting Test Availability Exceptions
Exceptions provide a mechanism to release a test to a student or provide accommodations for technology and language differences.
Mobile Tests Are Tests Intended to be Taken on Mobile Devices
Mobile tests are tests that format properly on mobile devices; think cell-phones.
Deploying Tests and Setting Test Options
After a test or a survey is created, the next step is to deploy it (i.e., make it available to students).
Grading Tests, Overriding Grades, and Clearing Attempts
A Grade Center column is created automatically for each test created. Although Blackboard Learn scores many question types, some questions need to be graded manually, such as essays, short answer questions, and file response questions.
Tour the Question Finder Feature (Movie, 04:36)
Blackboard has a number of different questions types that you can add to your online tests, quizzes, and examinations. The following are individual movies that demonstrate how to add the various questions:
- Creating a True or False Question (Movie, 02:25)
- Creating a Multiple Choice Question (Movie, 02:54)
- Creating a Multiple Answer Question (Movie, 03:35)
- Creating an Essay Question (Movie, 02:00)
- Creating a Fill in the Blank Question (Movie, 02:56)
- Creating a Fill in Multiple Blanks Question (Movie, 03:23)
- Creating a Matching Question (Movie, 03:27)
- Creating an Ordering Question (Movie, 03:12)
- Creating a Jumbled question (Movie, 03:52)
- Creating a Hot Spot Question (Movie, 03:29)
- Creating a Calculated Numeric Question (Movie, 02:30)
- Creating a Calculated Formula Question (Movie, 03:19)
It is also possible to reuse questions, see Adding an Existing Question to a Test (Movie, 02:27)